Country Before Self

Posted on 5:40 AM, under


from 'The MAR ROXAS BLOG'

Country before self. Good versus evil.


These are not mere catchphrases, nor marketing tools to sway people to vote this way or that. This is the simple truth that cannot be clouded by layers of lies and unfulfilled promises of a government that now is known as the most corrupt that we Filipinos have ever had.


As you know, a few weeks ago I made the most difficult decision of my life. It was certainly heart wrenching and painful to tell family, friends, and supporters in Club Filipino that I was going to give way to Noy... but I believed then, as I do now, that it was the right thing to do. Not just for myself or for those who supported me, but for a country eagerly waiting to be united against a familiar foe. Of course, I speak of graft, corruption, and the many evils that follow in their wake. I know that most of you may see these traditional lines as motherhood statements or the usual words politicians use to gain votes, pacify the crowd, and continue this ruinous cycle. I tell you now, with what conviction that I can muster, that these are not abstract words; that they exist in the highest offices of the land; and that the most opportune time to fight this evil is May 2010.


And this is where Noy comes in. People are beginning to believe again. As recent events have shown, he captured the passion of a country and united it against this overwhelming sense of paralysis. Stepping aside, though a hard decision on my part, is a small role to play in this struggle.


A movement has been born. I ask you to join it and reclaim a government that is rightfully yours. A few weeks ago I took the first step towards this direction. I intend to take many more steps in the near future. Let this serve as an invitation to you, reader, activist, scholar, and friend, to do the same.


Hindi ko kayo pababayaan. Mahal na mahal ko kayo. Lalaban tayo!


M.




I salute you Sen. Mar Roxas! Mabahay ka...


edit post

0 Reply to "Country Before Self"

  • Post a Comment